Motorcraft® brake and friction parts are the only ones designed, engineered and
recommended specifically for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles by Ford Motor Company.
They're built with the understanding that can only come from being the
Original Equipment(O.E.) manufacturer.
If you're looking for the most inexpensive brake parts, you could be compromising quality.
Motorcraft® brake parts deliver high value through high quality. When you
purchase Motorcraft®, you have
Ford Motor Company standing behind you.
The Motorcraft® comprehensive line of brake parts includes:
- Pads and Shoes
- Super Duty Brake Pads
- Rotors and Drums
- Remanufactured Calipers:
- Unloaded (without pads)
- Loaded (with pads)
- Wheel Cylinders
- Brake Hardware Kits
- Wheel Seals
Pads and Shoes
Only Motorcraft® pads and shoes are recommended by Ford Motor Company to ensure they
provide the right balance and performance for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles.
Many competitive brands say they match O.E. with their use of
shims, slots and chamfers
to help reduce noise. But in reality, these competitive products are built according to
the Friction Materials Standards Institute's (FMSI) version of the first O.E. pad and shoe
specifications for each vehicle, which does not reflect the ongoing testing and
improvements of Ford Motor Company. When comparing the accuracy of the FMSI specifications to
Motorcraft® O.E. pads, it was clear a large percentage of O.E. part numbers had
been updated since the FMSI printed their specifications book.
Motorcraft® pads and shoes:
- Are manufactured with friction formulas selected for their performance on Ford Motor Company vehicles
- Employ friction materials that have been tested to ensure they meet the stopping and fade performance requirements of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
- Benefit from a more comprehensive use of shims,slots and chamfers to reduce noise
Super Duty Brake Pads
Engineered specifically for vehicles that are frequently exposed to high-heat and wear conditions, the new Super Duty brake pads from Motorcraft® deliver the performance and quality Ford Motor Company has made standard in all their products. They feature:
The Importance of Shims, Chamfers and Slots
- Original Equipment (O.E.)-quality abutment points that help reduce pad clatter/rattle and help ensure uniform pad wear.
- Advanced shim design to help reduce noise and improve adhesion between the pad and backing plate.
- Slots engineered to help improve heat and water dissipation by providing a path for gases, wear debris and water to escape from between the pad and rotor surface.
- Ford Motor Company-tested friction formulas developed specifically for Super Duty brake pads to help ensure increased fade resistance, pad life, and reduced rotor wear under the most severe, high-heat driving conditions.
- Chamfers engineered to reduce the possibility of excessive noise during severe braking and initial break-in period.
Thin pieces of steel with multiple layers of sound-damping materials between the stamped metal –
also called insulators. Placing shims on the backside of the backing plate reduces the vibrations
that cause brakes to squeal.
Angled or beveled edges on the leading or trailing ends of brake pads. Chamfers on the leading edge
of brake pads reduce the pad’s tendency to dig in to the rotor. This reduces the stick/slip
vibration which causes brake noise.
Grooves cut vertically, diagonally or horizontally in brake pads. Slots significantly reduce the
tendency of the pad to bend when heated under normal braking conditions. This reduces the noise that
results from pads that have become concave due to heat-induced bending. Slots also help reduce brake
fade by providing a passage for gasses and dust to escape at high brake temperatures.
Rotors and Drums
Motorcraft® rotors and drums provide less wheel vibration and reduced new brake pedal
force. Advantages include:
- Consistent process control on the chemical composition of the U.S. iron leads to consistent hardness and strength, resulting in better long-term durability.
- Maintaining strict standards on the rotor plate thickness reduces high temperature warping.
- Machining all critical surfaces on the same mounting results in more parallel hub-mounting and braking surfaces. This provides more even wear over longer periods, less thickness variation and lateral run-out, which in turn means less vibration both initially and at higher mileage.
- New or enlarged bolt-hole chamfers on mounting surfaces minimize concerns of rotor distortion during rotor and wheel installation.
Remanufactured Unloaded Calipers (without pads)
All remanufactured calipers from Motorcraft® start with the O.E. casting.
They’re made of quality materials and undergo production-type testing.
All Motorcraft® remanufactured calipers receive new:
- phenolic pistons (where originally specified)
- bleed screws and caps
- slide pins and boots (where applicable)
Remanufactured calipers undergo the same testing methodology as O.E. calipers, which includes:
- Seals tested for durability
- Boots tested for leaks
- Pistons tested for abrasion resistance
- Calipers tested for high- and low-pressure leaks
Remanufactured Loaded Calipers (with pads)
Motorcraft® loaded calipers start with the same components, manufacturing and
testing requirements as the unloaded caliper, however the same high quality Motorcraft®
pads you can purchase separately have been added.
Motorcraft® doesn’t offer multiple grades of pads. So when you purchase a
Motorcraft® loaded caliper, you get our top quality Motorcraft® pads.
Related Chemicals & Lubricants
The following Motorcraft® chemicals and lubricants are recommended for brake service:
- Extra Strength Whitewall Tire Cleaner
- High Temperature 4x4 Front Axle and Wheel Bearing Grease
- Penetrating and Lock Lubricant
- Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound
- Brake Parts Cleaner
- High Temperature Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant
- Premium Long-Life Grease
- High Performance DOT 3 Motor Vehicle Brake Fluid